Being able to self-edit is key to writing, but how do we do it? Ellen Brock, a freelance editor has a great YouTube video on the subject, I recommend giving it a view. If you like worksheets like me, I have provided the following helps to assist you in your self-editing process. May the odds, or elements, be ever in your favor.
Self-Edit Checklist-think Big Picture then work to Small Details
- Character Arc Character Arc Worksheet Character Questionnaire
- What is the story you want to tell and are you telling it?
- How does your character change? What does he/she learn?
- Does the journey make sense, will it hold up?
- Story Structure
- Are you plot points in place? Story Structure Worksheet
- Line Edit-this may take a few passes and another set of eyes